We are currently working on two campaigns to build a more welcoming and just city and state: to stop the collaboration between the Philadelphia Police Department and Immigration, and to fight a package of anti-immigrant bills in the PA State Legislature. You can find out more about us at www.sanctuaryphiladelphia.org.
We are hiring a Full Time Community Organizer to join our dynamic and upbeat team working to build a faith-based grassroots movement for immigrant rights. The organizer will develop leaders in the community, build a network of congregations and oversee campaigns.
- Excellent interpersonal skills - ability to build and maintain relationships with congregation members and clergy of different ethnicities and faith
- Comfortable in the language and life of faith, openness to a variety of religious experiences and aware of one's own faith journey
- Bi-lingual - English and Spanish
- Passionate about social justice and immigrant rights
- Highly motivated and independent worker
- Desire to learn, grow and be challenged
- Basic computer skills including internet and social media like Facebook and blog
- Good communication skills - both verbal and written
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to work as part of team in a growing organization
- Experience with recruitment and outreach
- Experience with group facilitation
- Experience in planning and running events, workshops and actions
- Ability to work flexible hours - significant evenings and weekends
- Bi-cultural and/or immigrant background
- Understanding of direct action organizing
- Campaign-based organizing experience
- Experience building leadership
- Experience in multiracial coalition building
- Work with congregations of different religions and ethnicities
- Develop relationships with new congregations
- Build teams/groups in congregations, spending time each week in congregations and home visits
- Storytelling - lead small groups in immigrant communities in a popular education storytelling model
- Leadership Development - identify potential leaders and develop skills
- Build and guide campaigns - lead groups to identify campaigns, oversee the development and implementation of a faith based organizing campaign
- Build and maintain relationships with other organizations and coalitions in city, state and country
- Represent faith voice in these issues
- Help with administrative work in NSM office
- Regular communication with director and other staff and participate in decision making of organization
Please send cover letter, resume and three references to peter@sanctuaryphiladelphia.
New Sanctuary Movement of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates for employment will be considered without regard to race or ethnicity, gender, age, national origin, marital status or sexual orientation. Women and persons of color are encouraged to apply.